Sunday, July 27, 2008

50th Wedding Anniversay Gifts

Celebrity Wedding Dresses -
How does one even comprehend the meaning of 50 years in love with one person, sharing lives together, through thick and think, through ups and downs? What token, what 50th wedding anniversary gifts can possibly convey the full meaning of love, and not sound cheesy and incomplete? It was this question which occupied my mind as I thumbed listlessly through catalogs of gifts for 50th wedding anniversary, looking for the perfect symbol of my affection for my wife.
Many of the 50th wedding anniversary gifts were the standard fare hand blown glass, some of it really quite beautiful. Oil lamps, necklaces, wine flutes. God, in light of the momentous weight of the occasion, it all seemed like such meaningless junk. All the pretty sparkly things just made me feel dizzy and irritated. I needed something better for my 50th wedding anniversary gift. These wedding anniversary gift catalogs were doing nothing but giving me a headache.
Like all presents, I decided that 50th wedding anniversary gifts are best when made by hand from the heart. This is tough if you happen to have no craft or artistic skills, but fortunately, mine has been a life of working with my hands. I can paint, carve, sculpt, and do carpentry. I've become a jack of all trades and, now in my seventieth year, a master of a few. So I decided that all the 50th wedding anniversary gifts in those catalogs and internet sites, no matter how meticulously crafted, would be worthless compared to a token of my true affection to my wife.
Instead of getting her just one thing, I decided to make my wife several 50th wedding anniversary gifts which would all share the same theme of the love I felt for her. The first gift was a handmade card, drawn in calligraphy, and containing in the middle a picture of the two of us standing together, very young and very much in love when we first began dating all of those years ago. The other 50th wedding anniversary gifts were each made of different materials. One was a wooden carving which duplicated, as precisely as it could, a figurine which she used to own until one of the kids accidentally knocked it off of the counter years ago. Another was made of sea glass which I had saved from our honeymoon trip to the Bahamas. Finally, the last and finest of the 50th wedding anniversary gifts was made of stone in the shape of two tablets inscribed with our wedding vows, a touching reminder of the eternal bond which we share.

No comments: